Friday, June 7, 2019

Facing* the Cursed Project

After finishing the "quilting" (rows of zig-zag stitch, but it holds the layers together) on the background of The Cursed Project, I decided to finish the edges before appliqueing the motif.

I did not want a ridge of binding, and I can never get nice corners with a "knife-edge" (pillow) finish.

I decided to try the triangle facing finish from Jean Wells' "Intuitive Color and Design", which I bought in 2009.  I have no affiliation with this author or publisher--and they probably don't want any, as I kept this book in the library of the smallest room for six years without doing a single exercise, which is not a particularly useful endorsement. But if you want to try this edge finish at home, Ms. Wells has drawn out nice instructions.

I cut the first border strip too short and had to start over with a fresh strip. Other than that, it was easy.


To make sure the facing was rolled all the way over to the back, I pinned it in place, steamed it, and left it pinned for three days (until it wasn't too hot to turn the iron on again ๐Ÿ˜ฉ) and then steamed it again.  I'm in the process of hand-stitching the facing to the backside, which is going very slowly and hurts my still-healing index-finger scar.




Under the pain, I am excited to add this finish to my arsenal of techniques.

(If you liked this post, you can buy me a beer. Or just leave a comment.  Please, somebody, leave me a comment.)

* See What I Did There?

via GIPHY
.

No comments:

Post a Comment