Saturday, January 13, 2018

Englischer Garten: Crappy Cell Phone Pics™

Yesterday I went to the US Consulate in München to renew my passport. This could have been done by mail, but the website was a mess--links to different forms than the text indicated, rules for photos completely missing (I found them on the website for the Embassy to India)--so I made an appointment, and started following the instructions and became increasingly anxious.

Very late Thursday night, literally hours before my appointment, I reviewed the instructions on the website, and they had changed. Since Thursday morning. Previously you brought euros for postage, now you bring a prepaid self-addressed envelope. In Berlin and Frankfurt a specific DHL product is required; in Munich you can bring anything with enough stamps. Having no idea how many stamps were necessary,  we tracked down a DHL counter near R's work and bought the specific product on Friday morning. Which took a long time, as the guy behind the counter didn't actually know that he sold this product (that we could see hanging on the wall behind him) at his counter.

Then I took a series of trams to the city center, intending to while away the morning in Haus der Kunst, where the lady at the desk told me not to bother because there was only one exhibition. So I ended up in the Englischer Garten.

I had my real camera, but I'm still trying out this watermark app, so enjoy the Crappy Cell Phone Pics™.





I was nervous about the appointment, so I didn't really enjoy the park. But at least I got sunburned.

The appointment was fast and easy. I had all the correct forms, and they accepted US cash. I was also the only person in my time slot who had a prepaid envelope or stamps. Finally the crippling anxiety pays off!

No comments:

Post a Comment