Sunday, December 8, 2019

Complexity

Thursday I loaded up on meds and went to the opening of an art quilt show at the Alte Gefängnis, from a local group of art quilters. They're at a much higher level than I am, international awards and such.

The main thing I noticed (and I took no pictures, only mental notes) was that their work was all very complex.  Layers of fabrics, layers of stitching, beads upon thread upon paint upon dye.

All of my training in every other part of my life--from 4-H and housework as a child to engineering school to rotary-cutter quilting and especially the latter stages of my dead career--has been about making things simpler, easier, and more streamlined. The exact opposite of what is needed to make a quilt that people want to look at for longer than half a second while scrolling through looking at juice-cleanse pins.

I'm trying to mash this into my experimentations with digital images, adding layers of varying opacity.  I don't know how to translate this into thread.

This is a photo of a sunflower. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment